As we age, it is common to lose our steady, balanced gait – this is especially true among seniors. Other factors, like certain medications and diseases, can increase difficulty with balance. To determine if a senior is at high risk of falling, watch for the following signs:
- A change in gait
- Difficulty getting in and out of chairs or bed
- Reaching for support when bending, moving, or climbing
- Needing breaks while moving about routinely, like while climbing upstairs
- Straining to see clearly
- Watching one’s feet while moving
- Shuffling instead of lifting the feet when walking
- Pain in the joints, back, or lower body
- Diseases like Alzheimer’s, Diabetes, or Arthritis If you notice signs like these, be proactive.
Whether you are care giving or have hired a home health care agency in CT, it is important to take preventative measures around the home and encourage seniors to practice walking safely outside the home as well.
Floors and Stairs Risk Factors:
• Loose rugs
• Steep steps or inclines
• Slippery surfaces
• Pets that get under foot
Prevention: Add traction surfaces and rails along the walls. Clean up obstacles and secure pets when seniors need to move. Install a chair lift on stairs if needed.
Kitchen Risk factors:
• High or low shelves
• Slippery floors
• Poor lighting
• Too much furniture
Prevention: Move common kitchen items to waist level. Add traction pads to floors and increase lighting. Remove or rearrange furniture for easier maneuvering.
Bedroom and Living Area Risk Factors:
• Dim Lighting
• Clutter or excess furniture
• Lack of phones or night lighting
Prevention: Add lighting, include night lighting and clear a path for easy navigation at any hour. Secure cords, wires, and other tripping hazards behind furniture. Make phones accessible in case help is needed.
Masters In Home Care is a home health care agency in Connecticut that provides detailed home care. Our home care providers are not rookies, but seasoned health care workers. Contact us today to discuss your loved one’s health care needs.